Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Waking up on the wrong side of the bed

I'm in a mood this morning that even sour cream and onion pringles for breakfast can't fix. And I don't know about you, but I think that is the breakfast of champions. This feeling goes all the way back to marching band roadtrips in high school.

Anyway, a few housekeeping items: I'm at about the 75% mark of Drama Free 2003 and I'm hoping to have it in editing by the end of May so that my timeline for an August release stays in tact! After I finish this book, I'm going to be working hard on Lucian's book and a heavy duty rewrite/edit on Love, But Never, which I pulled from Amazon while I complete this.

The Weakness in Me did not make the semi-finals for the ABNA contest, but the review from Publishers' Weekly was better than I could've imagined! They called it a 'Heartbreaking contemporary romance' and said that "the author solidly paints the agony of losing a loved one and the long process of recovery." I'm sure the emphasis is on long, because The Weakness in Me is (of course) about Samantha and Jason's relationship, but it's also about learning to live again after you lose someone you really and truly loved. It's a slow building book because there was no way Samantha and Jason would've found their way back to each other any sooner. There was a lot of hurt on both sides of that relationship when it ended. I was over the moon when I read this, though, because as an author, still new to the game of writing full length novels for public consumption, rather than someone who writes short stories and papers for school, I have the tendency to question my abilities. I know that I am growing with every story I write and you hope that every book you write is better than the last, but that doesn't mean it's true.

If the review wasn't as good as it was, I probably would still be in a dark room, rocking back and forth, telling myself it's okay cause my mom likes me. I would still write, but I'd be way more gun shy about releasing my work to the general population.

That's it for now. 'Like' me on facebook and follow me on twitter for random updates about popcorn flavored jelly bellys, how hot I think Captain Hook from Once Upon A Time is, and probably my thoughts on the upcoming NFL draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment