Monday, April 1, 2013

Drama Free 2003- Meet Brady

Be aware this is unedited and unrevised. This is the beginning of the 2nd chapter, when we first get to hear from Brady, as opposed to hearing about Brady.Brady

The manufacturing plant where I worked was still shut down for the holidays until Monday, and I wouldn’t get my daughter again until tomorrow. I didn’t want to admit it, but I was bored. My roommate, Flynn, was out with some crazy tatted chick he’d met at the sex shop where he worked graves. Meanwhile, our other roommate, Becca, was looking at me like she wanted to devour me whole. I knew she was jealous that Flynn, her ex, was out on a date and she wasn’t, but I didn’t know if I wanted to hook up with her anymore. It was something that had become common place for us since a party at Lucy’s old house, before she moved to Tempe.

Lucy, damn, I went a whole ten minutes without thinking about her and what happened at her house a couple of nights ago. Which was nothing. I just helped her get rid of a guy she didn’t want anymore. I wasn’t thinking about the way she smelled like apples or how she fit perfectly in my arms, because I just couldn’t go there with anyone. Love was a soul sucking pit of existence, and I refused to get sucked in again.

“Are you watching this?” I asked Becca, motioning toward the old episode of Buffy playing on the television.

“No, why?” she asked. I knew she was trying to sound seductive, but all I heard was desperation. “What did you have in mind?” It took everything I had to hold back the cringe I felt as she trailed her fingers from my wrist up my arm. Something about her touch right now just felt wrong.

“I wanted to play some GTA, but if you’re watching the show…” I trailed off, shutting down her flirtations.

“No, you can have it,” she snarled and tore out of the living room toward her bedroom, slamming her door behind her. I know she wanted me to feel guilty for rejecting her advances, but I just couldn’t bring myself to care. With a shrug, grabbed my controller and sat down in front of my Play Station to steal some cars and kill some hookers.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a callous guy, but damn if that girl had no respect for herself. She was attractive and nice, but not for me. I don’t know why she thought it was her roommately duty to attend to Flynn and me that way. She and Flynn had been off and on since high school, but I always thought their relationship was a cluster fuck of epic proportions. It was so destructive that it swallowed everyone it touched whole and regurgitated their bones. They’d been engaged more times than I could count, but always broke up. They were good people separately, but together, damn, they were a category five hurricane. I’d question why I got involved with her in the first place, given her on-going history with my best friend, but I knew the answer to that, it was 80 proof and started with the letter V.

No comments:

Post a Comment